Updated: Feb 4
It can be overwhelming to shop for furniture nowadays, especially considering the number of options out there. But if you're looking for a timeless piece of furniture that's both durable and easy to maintain - Solid wood would be the smartest choice. They're beautiful to look at, easy to work with, renewable, recyclable, carbon-efficient, and high-performance. Here are some more benefits to help you decide if solid wood furniture is right for your home. 1. Solid Wood Furniture is the Greenest Choice As more of us are starting to make greener choices with our lifestyle and reduce our carbon footprint - it's only natural to wonder if it is sustainable to buy wooden furniture when decorating our houses? First of all, wood is the most environmentally friendly raw material. It is infinitely replenishable and renewable because it's the only building material made from the sun, rain and carbon in the air. In addition, we now have strict legislation on selective harvesting to ensure that our natural resources are sustainably sourced. Finally, solid wooden furniture is 100% biodegradable, unlike many synthetic materials used to make many wooden pieces out there. In the end, any waste coming from solid wood furniture will eventually decompose and breaks down back into the earth, making it better for the environment. So overall, choosing timber is an environmentally friendly choice for anyone concerned about their carbon footprint.
2. Strength and Durability Wooden furniture is exceptionally resilient and requires very little maintenance. They're the perfect choice for anyone looking for longevity from their wooden pieces. Whether you opt for hardwood (American oak) or softwood (NZ Pine), you're sure to get a product that will survive for generations. It can stand up to years of wear and tear from even the most rambunctious family. Think careless teenagers, and crayon-wielding toddlers, or a husband's projects gone wrong, etc. If you take a look on the TradeMe furniture section, you can find many wooden pieces that are still being handed down and bought on the marketplace, even 20, 50, and in some cases 100 years after they were made. Solid wood is good. 3. Look and feel There's a certain charm to Solid wood furniture, thanks to the natural variations in all lumber grains. Every solid wood furniture ever made is unique, compared with other types of furniture churned out looking identical. The solid wood's natural look and craftsmanship, combined with the way it ages, all contribute to its enduring look and personality. Adding a piece of wood furniture to a room will completely change its look and feel, offering elegance, charm and sophistication to any room.
4. Versatility Solid Wood furniture is surprisingly versatile regardless of your room's décor, Indoors or outdoors. Sporting a vintage decor? No problem. Mid-century modern? Absolutely. Whether your room is minimalist, industrial, rustic or coastal. You can count on wooden furniture to fit right in nicely.
5. It’s easy to clean and maintain Make sure to keep it away from direct sunlight, make sure there's no direct contact with water, and that's half your job done. Every now and then, give your wood furniture an overall dusting, and you're good to go. Take a look at our tips for protecting wood furniture to ensure the longevity of your wood furniture. 6. You can refinish wood Refinishing is an easy, low-cost way to bring out the natural beauty in older wood furniture again. Sanding and finishing your wood furniture will give it a second, third or even fourth life. You won't need to replace your wood furniture repeatedly, unlike other synthetic furniture, furniture made of engineered wood materials and composites.
7. It brings nature into your home You can use wood furniture to create a sense of the natural world indoors. If you live in a high-density city apartment block, placing a couple of wooden furniture here and there can go a long way in creating that serene feeling of nature in your living space.
8. Never goes out of style Solid wood furniture of fine quality never fails to add to the overall aesthetics of a room. The best part is that they never go out of style. Even as your interior design tendencies change over the years, your signature solid wood centrepiece will often remain in the spotlight. The possibilities are endless.
At Rustic Collections by MB all of our Products are carefully Handcrafted with Solid Wood